This method of preserving small fish was widespread among fishermen in this area. Created to support survival, it is also a speciality served as a welcome dish by locals.
1. Clean the sardines of scales and gut, wash them and tap dry.
2. Roll them in the flour and fry in the oil.
3. After you fry them, add salt.
4. Slice the onions into thin rings and fry or sauté in that same oil.
5. Arrange layers of fish and of onions in a large bowl. When done with layers, pour over vinegar.
6. Cover and leave to marinate in a fridge for 2 to 3 days, to develop a full flavor.